I'd like you to close your eyes and imagine a scenario. You're handed a prototype system. You're told it works. It has no documentation. It has 0 unit tests. The hope is that you can take it on, refactor it, make it better and (crucially) not break it. Oh, and you don't really understand what the code does or why it does it either; information on that front is, alas, sorely lacking.
6 posts tagged with "unit testing"View All Tags
He tasks me; he heaps me.... I will wreak that MOQ upon him.
Enough with the horrific misquotes - this is about Moq and async (that's my slight justification for robbing Herman Melville).
The Surprisingly Happy Tale of Visual Studio Online, Continous Integration and Chutzpah
Going off piste
Unit testing ModelState
- Me: "It can't be done"
- Him: "Yes it can"
- Me: "No it can't"
- Him: "Yes it can, I've just done it"
- Me: "Ooooh! Show me ..."
Unit Testing and Entity Framework: The Filth and the Fury
Just recently I've noticed that there appears to be something of a controversy around Unit Testing and Entity Framework. I first came across it as I was Googling around for useful posts on using MOQ in conjunction with EF. I've started to notice the topic more and more and as I have mixed feelings on the subject (that is to say I don't have a settled opinion) I thought I'd write about this and see if I came to any kind of conclusion...
A Simple Technique for Initialising Properties with Internal Setters for Unit Testing
I was recently working with my colleagues on refactoring a legacy application. We didn't have an immense amount of time available for this but the plan was to try and improve what was there as much as possible. In its initial state the application had no unit tests in place at all and so the plan was to refactor the code base in such a way as to make testing it a realistic proposition. To that end the domain layer was being heavily adjusted and the GUI was being migrated from WebForms to MVC 3. The intention was to build up a pretty solid collection of unit tests. However, as we were working on this we realised we had a problem with properties on our models with